We start with FI
Welcome to the Faculty of Informatics. In this text you will learn what options the faculty offers you and how to use technical equipment. You can find this document on the FI website in Technical Information: We start with FI .
Computers and spaces
- Students have free access to the computer hall , where there are machines with Windows (titanium), Linux (nymphs) and macOS (luna).
- Printing on the copier in the hall is possible from Windows. You need to have enough funds in your SUPO account. More information on the page Paid SUPO printing in Technical Information (see below).
- Computer classes:
- Windows classrooms: A215 (nereis), B116 (naiada), B117 (dryada), B311 (sirene).
- Linux classrooms: A219 (nymphs), B130 (nymphs).
- The classrooms on the ground floor (B116, B117 and B130) can only be accessed via the computer hall.
- It is possible to use study room A214 (there are no PCs).
Accounts and accesses
Access to the computer hall and some classrooms is possible using an ISIC card (it is necessary to "beep" by attaching it to the sensor).
Every MU student has a UCO and:
- Primary password - to log in to ISu and for MUNI single sign-on services.
- Secondary password - other services (printing, eating , Eduroam, ...).
FI students also have a faculty account:
- xlogin (freshmen will find their login on the notice board at the entrance to the computer hall) + faculty password.
- At the beginning, the faculty password is the same as the secondary password, but they are still not synchronized in any way, these are two different passwords .
- Used to log in to faculty services : to Aisa server, PC at the faculty, GitLab , Stratus , ...
- You also get a mailbox
xlogin8Hoksk=Mq@fiTlH0Zj_Ny.muniZuxroBrU9.cz(by default it is redirected to IS).
- Please note that you are required to read mail delivered to this address. Therefore, cancel the forwarding only if you check this mailbox.
Changing the password:
- Primary and secondary: in IS under reference Changing the password .
A new primary password (if you forget it) can be assigned by the study department.
Home directories and storage
- Each user has two network home directories, one for Unix systems (Linux and macOS) and the other for Windows.
- Home directories are backed up (ask your administrator for an email recovery).
- On Windows, the Unix home automatically connects as a network drive.
- A disk quota is applied to the size of the stored data.
- In addition, larger platforms can be used on both platforms (but slower and not backed up).
- For more details see Storage and quotas in Technical Information.
Programs on Linux
- If you are missing a program, you can ask the administrator to install it or use the system of modules . Find out more in the Technical Information.
Aisa is a Linux server that allows students to access remotely via SSH. You can sign up for it from anywhere at
aisa.fi.muni.cz. (Among other things, the FI website runs on this server.)
- There are also SSH clients for Windows, e.g. PuTTY , or you can activate native windows 10 client for use in cmd.exe / PowerShell.
- Information on remote access to the school PC ( Linux and Windows ) and information on faculty VPN can be found in the article Remote access to services .
- The preferred connection method is Eduroam . Instructions can be found at it.muni.cz/sluzby/wifi .
- It is possible to connect to the faculty network (ESSID wlan_fi ). However, you need to authenticate to wifi.fi.muni.cz (faculty login and password).
- PC hall / classrooms are available Mon – Thu 7–22, Fri 7–20. The regime during the Christmas / summer holidays is usually specified on the IS bulletin board. The faculty is open from 6 to 22.
- It is not allowed to eat or drink in computer classrooms and in the lobby, light up in the lobby.
- Do not leave the PC without logging off. Lock your computer for a maximum of 10 minutes.
- Keep in mind that other users may be logged in remotely on Linux workstations, so don't overload them unnecessarily.
- Therefore, do not restart Linux computers. When frozen, use the keyboard shortcut
Ctrl + Alt + Backspace . If this does not help, you can restart the computer if you send the explanation and the machine name to at the same time
- Illegal content sharing is prohibited.
- Choose a secure password and do not share it with anyone. Each user is responsible for ensuring that no one abuses their account.
- Follow all other rules, which can be found in the Technical Information under the link Operating rules of FI computer systems .
Your faculty account may be suspended for violating the rules.
Technical information and contacts
On the faculty website on the
. info (
www.fi.muni.cz/tech/ ) provides a lot of useful information and instructions. You should study them, or at least know what you can learn there. If you have problems with Windows, Unix systems or WiFi, write to
unixg0tMhT0bG@ficASkwR20W.muni_SPM1Fdjv.cz , respectively
We recommend that you familiarize yourself with the contents faculty website , Faculty Administration ( fadmin.fi.muni.cz ) and especially Information System (IS) . In the IS, you will perform almost all administrative tasks related to the study, such as enrollment in the next semester, enrollment in subjects and seminar groups, registration for exams and checking marks or passing studies. But sometimes it's a personal visit study department inevitable - it is located on the 2nd floor of building A.
Older versions of this document: Archive We start with FI .