Getting Started with FI
Welcome to the Faculty of Informatics. In this text, you will learn what the faculty offers you and how to use the technical equipment.
Computers and rooms
- Students have access to a computer room (B106) with Windows (titan), Linux (nymfe01-22, nymfe75-86) and macOS (luna).
- Copying in the lobby is possible from Windows. You need to have enough funds on your SUPO account. More information on the page Paid SUPO printing in Technical Information (see below).
- Computer classes:
- Windows classrooms: A215 (nereis), B116 (naiada), B117 (dryada), B311 (siren).
- Linux classrooms: A219 (nymfe87-105), B130 (nymfe23-74).
- The classrooms on the ground floor (B116, B117 and B130) can only be accessed via a computer hall.
- It is possible to use the A214 study room (there are no PCs).
Accounts and approaches
The entrance to the computer hall and some classrooms is made possible by using the ISIC card (you need to "beep" by attaching it to the sensor).
Every MU student has a teacher and:
- Primary Password - Login Only ISu and to Inet .
- Secondary password - other services (print, catering , Eduroam, ...).
FI students also have a faculty account:
- xlogin (the first find their login on the board at the entrance to the computer hall) + faculty password.
- At the beginning, the faculty password is the same as the secondary password, but they are not synchronized anymore, they are two different passwords .
- Used to sign in to faculty services : on Aisa server, PC at the faculty, GitLab , Stratus , ...
- You are also receiving a mailbox
xloginfq=DSkzOJ@fi1YvdZDA6w.munigazwg28KH.cz(by default, it is redirected to IS).
Changing the password:
- Primary and Secondary: in the IS under the link Changing the password .
The new primary password (if you forget it) can be assigned to you by the Study Department.
- Each user has two network home directories, one for Unix systems and one for Windows.
- On Windows, the Unix automatically connects as a network drive.
- A quota quota is applied , for more details see Disk quotas in Technical Information.
Tips for Linux
- You can choose from a variety of graphical environments, so-called sessions , when logging in locally. You can choose from Gnome, Plasma, Xfce and many more.
- If you are missing a program, you can ask the administrator to install it or use the module system . Learn more in Technical Information.
Aisa is a Linux server that allows students to access SSH remotely. You can sign up for it from anywhere at
aisa.fi.muni.cz. (This site also includes FI.
- From the FI network (ie from Aisy), it is possible to register for Nymph machines. The address is, for example
- There are also SSH clients for Windows, PuTTY .
- The preferred connection method is Eduroam . You can find instructions on it.muni.cz/sluzby/wifi .
- It is possible to join the faculty network (ESSID wlan_fi ). However, you need to authenticate to wifi.fi.muni.cz (faculty login and password).
- The PC hall / classrooms are available only on weekdays from 7:00 to 22:00 (prior to 20:00). The Christmas / Summer Holiday mode is specified on the IS board. The faculty is open from 6:00 to 22:00.
- In computer classrooms and in the hall you must not eat or drink, squeeze yourself in the vestibule.
- Do not leave the PC without logging out. Lock your computer for up to 10 minutes.
- Be aware that other users may be logged on Linux, so do not overload them.
- Therefore, do not restart Linux computers. When freezing, use the keyboard shortcut
SysRq + K (Alt + PrtScr + K). If it does not help, you can restart the computer if you also send explanation and machine name to
- Illegal sharing of content is prohibited.
- Choose a safe password and do not tell anyone. Each user is responsible for ensuring that no one is misused.
- Please observe all other rules found in Technical Information under the link Operating rules of FI systems .
For violation of the rules, your faculty account may be blocked.
Technical information and contacts
On the faculty web site at
Tech. info (
) you will find many useful information and instructions. You should study them or at least know what to learn.
In case of problems with Windows, UNIX systems or WiFi, type on
unix7kRHiufd_@fiHnQ_YgCZF.muniwUHV081Vi.cz , respectively
We recommend getting to know the content of the faculty website , Faculty Administration ( fadmin.fi.muni.cz ) and especially Information System (IS) . In the IS you will perform almost all administrative tasks related to the study, such as enrollment in the next semester, enrollment of courses and seminar groups, registration for examinations and checking stamps or passage of studies. But sometimes it is a personal visit of the Study Department inevitable - it is located on the 2nd floor of building A.
Older versions of this document: Archive Getting Started with FI .
Authors: unix @ fi and win @ fi