Getting Started with FI
Welcome to the Faculty of Informatics. In this text you will learn how the faculty offers you and how to use technical equipment.
Computers and Spaces
- There is a computer hall open to students, with Windows (titanium), Linux (nymfe) and macOS (luna) machines.
- Printing to the copier in the lobby is possible from Windows. You need to have enough funds in your SUPO account. More information on page Paid SUPO Press in the Technical Information (see below).
- Computer classes:
- Windows Classrooms: A215 (nereis), B116 (naiada), B117 (dryada), B311 (sirene).
- Linux classrooms: A219 (nymph), B130 (nymph).
- Classrooms on the ground floor (B116, B117 and B130) can only be accessed via the computer hall.
- It is possible to use study room A214 (there are no PCs).
Accounts and Approaches
Access to the computer hall and some classrooms is possible using the ISIC card (it is necessary to "beep" by attaching it to the sensor).
Every MUNI student has a učo and:
- Primary password - login only ISu and to Inet .
- Secondary password - additional services (printing, eating , Eduroam, ...).
In addition, FI students have a faculty account:
- xlogin (freshmen will find their login on the bulletin board at the entrance to the computer hall) + faculty password.
- At the beginning, the faculty password is the same as the secondary password, but it is not synchronized, it is two different passwords .
- Used for logging on faculty services : to Aisa server, PC at faculty, GitLab , Stratus , ...
- You also get a mailbox
xloginQn_Rsy9TS@fi-4zOXqkTP.munisPv07Fdfw.cz(default is redirected to IS).
- Please note that you are required to read mail delivered to this address. Therefore, only divert the divert if you check this box.
Changing the password:
- Primary and secondary: in the IS under the link Changing the password .
The new primary password (if you forget it) can be assigned to you by the Study Department.
- Each user has two network home directories, one for UNIX systems and one for Windows.
- On Windows, Unix automatically connects as a network drive.
- Disk quota is applied , for more details see Disk quotas in Technical Information.
Programs on Linux
- If you are missing a program, you can ask the administrator to install it or use the module system . Learn more in Technical Information.
Aisa is a Linux server that allows students to access SSH remotely. You can log in to it from anywhere
aisa.fi.muni.cz. (The FI web is also running on this server.)
- It is possible to log on machines from the FI network (ie also from Aisa)
Nymfe . For example, the address is
- There are also SSH clients for Windows, e.g. PuTTY .
- The preferred connection method is Eduroam . You can find the instructions at it.muni.cz/sluzby/wifi .
- It is possible to connect to the faculty network (ESSID wlan_fi ). However, you need to authenticate to wifi.fi.muni.cz (faculty login and password).
- PC hall / classrooms are available Mon – Thu 7–22, Fri 7–20. The regime through the Christmas / Summer holidays is specified on the IS bulletin board. The Faculty is open 6–22.
- Do not eat and drink in the computer classrooms or in the lobby, soak up in the lobby.
- Do not leave the PC without logging out. Lock your computer for up to 10 minutes.
- Be aware that other users can be logged on remotely on Linux stations, so don't overload them unnecessarily.
- Therefore, do not restart Linux computers. Use the
Ctrl + Alt + Backspace shortcut
key when freezing. If this does not help, you may restart your computer if you send the explanation and machine name to
- Illegal content sharing is prohibited.
- Choose a secure password and don't share it with anyone. Each user is responsible for ensuring that no one abuses his account.
- Also follow all other rules found in the Technical Information under the link Operating rules of FI computer systems .
You may be blocked from account by your faculty account.
Technical information and contacts
On the faculty website at
Tech. info (
www.fi.muni.cz/tech/ ) you will find many useful information and tutorials. You should study them, or at least know what you can learn there. In case of problems with Windows, Unix systems or WiFi write to
unix7ZmGCUs0Z@fith3iA=dzC.muniKaNn5UT_r.cz , respectively
We recommend that you familiarize yourself with the content faculty website , Faculty Administration ( fadmin.fi.muni.cz ) and especially Information System (IS) . In the IS, you will perform almost all the administrative tasks related to the study, such as enrollment in the next semester, enrollment of subjects and seminar groups, enrollment for examinations and check marks or passage through study. But sometimes it is a personal visit study department inevitable - it is located on the 2nd floor of Building A.
Earlier versions of this document: Archive Getting Started with FI .