We start with FI
Welcome to the Faculty of Informatics. In this text you will learn what options the faculty offers you and how to use technical equipment. You can find even more in our Technical Information : fi.muni.cz/tech/ .
Computers and spaces
- Students have free access to the computer hall , where there are computers with Windows (titanium), Linux (nymph) and macOS (luna) and several separate monitors to connect to a laptop.
- Printing on the copier in the hall is possible from Windows. You need to have enough funds in your SUPO account. More information on the page Paid SUPO printing in Technical Information.
- Computer classes:
- Windows classrooms: A215 (nereis), B116 (naiada), B117 (dryada), B311 (sirene).
- Linux classrooms: A219 (nymphs), B130 (nymphs).
- Some of these computers can be used remotely, see the Remote Access section below.
- It is possible to use study room A214 (there are no computers).
Accounts and accesses
Access to the computer hall and some classrooms is possible using an ISIC card (it is necessary to "beep" by attaching it to the sensor).
Every MU student has a UCO and:
- Primary password - to log in to ISu and for services using MUNI single sign-on.
- Secondary password - other services ( printing via SUPO , wireless net Eduroam ,…).
FI students also have a faculty account:
- Faculty login (you will find out in IS ; freshmen will also find their login on the notice board at the entrance to the computer hall) + faculty password.
- Faculty login is often called xlogin . In procedures and instructions, always replace it with your actual faculty login, the word "xlogin" never belongs directly to orders, etc.
- At the beginning, the faculty password is the same as the secondary password, but they are still not synchronized in any way, these are two different passwords.
- Used to log in to faculty services : to Aisa server, PC at the faculty, GitLab , Stratus ,…
- You also get a mailbox
email@example.com(by default it is redirected to IS).
- Please note that you are required to read mail delivered to this address. Therefore, cancel the forwarding only if you check this mailbox.
- Settings and services linked to the faculty account can be found in the Faculty Administration: fadmin.fi.muni.cz .
Changing the password:
- Primary and secondary: in IS under reference Changing the password .
If you forget your primary password, it can give you a new one authorized department (for study students).
Home directories and storage
- Each user has two network home directories, one for Unix systems (Linux and macOS) and the other for Windows.
- Home directories are backed up (ask your administrator for an email recovery).
- On Windows, the Unix home directory automatically mounts as a network drive.
- The amount of data stored is limited by the disk quota .
- In addition, larger platforms can be used on both platforms (but slower and not backed up).
- For more details see Storage and quotas in Technical Information.
Programs on Linux
- If you are missing a program, you can ask your administrator to install it or use it system of modules .
- Aisa is a Linux server that allows students to access remotely via SSH.
- Connect from anywhere with the command
ssh firstname.lastname@example.org the terminal (Linux, macOS), on Windows then in the command line (
cmd.exe) or PowerShell.
- Information on remote access to the school PC ( Linux and Windows ) and information on faculty VPN can be found in the article Remote access to services .
- The preferred connection method is Eduroam . Instructions can be found at it.muni.cz/sluzby/wifi .
- It is possible to connect to the faculty network ( wlan_fi ). However, you need to authenticate to wifi.fi.muni.cz (faculty login and password).
- PC hall / classrooms are available Mon – Thu 7–22, Fri 7–20. The regime during the Christmas / summer holidays is usually specified on the IS bulletin board. The faculty is open from 6 to 22.
- It is not allowed to eat or drink in computer classrooms and in the lobby, light up in the lobby.
- Do not leave the PC without logging off. Lock your computer for a maximum of 10 minutes.
- Keep in mind that other users may be logged in remotely on Linux workstations, so don't overload them unnecessarily.
- Therefore, do not restart Linux computers. When frozen, use the keyboard shortcut
Ctrl + Alt + Backspace . If this does not help, you can restart the computer if you send the explanation and the machine name to at the same time
- Illegal content sharing is prohibited.
- Choose a secure password and do not share it with anyone. Each user is responsible for ensuring that no one abuses their account.
- Follow all other rules, which can be found in the Technical Information under the link Operating rules of FI computer systems .
Your faculty account may be suspended for violating the rules.
Technical information and contacts
In the Technical Information ( fi.muni.cz/tech/ ) provides a lot of useful information and instructions. You should study them, or at least get acquainted with the main signpost for an overview.
In case of problems with Windows, Unix systems or Wi-Fi, write to administrators at
unix-r7GCUalx@fi1MmKoXDJj.muni69-7aMGJK.cz , respectively
We recommend that you familiarize yourself with the contents faculty website and especially Information System (IS) . In the IS, you will perform almost all administrative tasks related to the study, such as enrollment in the next semester, enrollment in subjects and seminar groups, registration for exams and checking marks or passing the study. But sometimes it's a personal visit study department inevitable - it is located on the 2nd floor of building A.
Older versions of this document: Archive We start with FI .