Getting started with FI
Welcome to the Faculty of Informatics! In this text, you will learn what opportunities the Faculty offers you and how to use its technical equipment. You can find even more in our Technical Information: fi.muni.cz/tech/.
Computers and facilities
- Students have free access to the computer hall, where there are computers running Windows (titan), Linux (nymfe) and macOS (luna) and several separate monitors to connect to a laptop.
- Printing on the photocopier in the hall is possible from Windows. You need to have sufficient funds in your SUPO account. For more information, see the SUPO Paid Printing page in the Technical Information.
- Computer labs:
- Windows classrooms: A215, B116, B117, B311.
- Linux classrooms: A219, B130, B011.
- Some of these computers can be used remotely, see the Remote Access section below.
- It is possible to use study rooms A214 and C123 (no computers there).
Accounts and access
Access to the computer hall and some classrooms is by ISIC card (you need to "beep" it by attaching it to the scanner).
Every MU student has an ID card:
- Primary password - for logging into the IS and for services using the MUNI single sign-on.
- Secondary password - for other services (printing via SUPO, Eduroam wireless network, ...).
FI students also have a faculty account:
- Faculty login + Faculty password. Login can be found in IS; freshmen also on the bulletin board at the entrance to the PC hall.
- The faculty login is often called xlogin. Always replace it with your actual faculty login in procedures and instructions. Never include the word "xlogin" directly in commands, etc.
- Initially, the faculty password is the same as the secondary password, but they are no longer synchronized in any way; they are two different passwords.
- It is used to log in to faculty services: the Aisa server, faculty PCs, GitLab, cloud, ...
- At the same time, you get the mailbox
firstname.lastname@example.org(it is redirected to IS by default).
- Please note that you are required to read mail delivered to this address. Therefore, only cancel the redirection if you check this mailbox.
- Settings and services related to the faculty account can be found in Faculty Administration: fadmin.fi.muni.cz.
- in IS at is.muni.cz/auth/system/password_fi,
- or in the Faculty Administration go to Change password.
- Primary and secondary: in IS under the Change Password link.
- Choose a secure password and do not disclose it to anyone. Each user is responsible for ensuring that no one misuses their account.
If you forget your primary password, a new one can be assigned by an authorized department (for student workers).
Home directories and repositories
- Each user has two network home directories: one for Unix systems (Linux and macOS, the
/home/xlogindirectory ) and one for Windows (the
- On Windows, the Unix home directory is automatically mounted as the network drive
- The home directories are backed up (email the administrator for data recovery).
- The amount of data stored is limited by the disk quota.
- On both platforms, you can also use a larger storage (but slower and not backed up): the directory
/data/xlogin, or the drive
- See Storage and Quotas and Windows on Student Computers in the Technical Information for more details.
Programs on Linux
- If you are missing a program, you can ask the administrator to install it, or use the module system.
- Aisa is a Linux server that allows students remote access via SSH.
- Connect from anywhere using
ssh email@example.com a terminal (Linux, macOS), or on Windows using the command line (
cmd.exe) or PowerShell.
- For information on remote access to campus PCs (Linux and Windows) and information on the faculty VPN, see Remote Access to Services.
- Eduroam is the preferred method of connection. Instructions can be found at it.muni.com/services/wifi.
- It is possible to connect to the faculty network (wlan_fi). However, you need to authenticate via the captive portal or wifi.fi.muni.cz (faculty login and password).
- The PC hall and classrooms are available Mon-Thu 7-22, Fri 7-20. Faculty is open Mon-Fri 6-22.
- No eating or drinking in the computer labs or lobby; snack in the lobby.
- Do not leave the PC without logging out. Lock your computer for no more than 10 minutes.
- Do not reboot Linux computers; they may have remote users logged in. If the computer freezes, use the keyboard shortcut
Ctrl + Alt + Backspace or
Alt + PrintScreen + K. If this does not work, you may restart the computer if you also send an explanation and the machine name to
- Illegal sharing of content is prohibited.
- Please also follow all other rules, which can be found in the Technical Information under the link FI Computer Systems Operating Rules.
Violation of the rules may result in your faculty account being blocked.
Technical Information and Contacts
The Technical Information (fi.muni.com/tech/) has a lot of useful information and instructions. You should study them, or at least consult the main signpost for an overview.
Something not working? You can check the availability of the main services on the status page: status.fi.muni.cz.
In case of problems with Windows, Unix systems or Wi-Fi, write to the administrators at
Earlier version of this document: archive Getting started with FI.