Getting started with FI
Welcome to the Faculty of Informatics. In this text you will learn about the possibilities offered by the faculty and how to use technical equipment.
Computers and premises
- Students have a free computer hall with machines with Windows (titanium), Linux (nymfe) and macOS (luna).
- Printing on the copier in the lobby is possible from Windows. You need to have enough funds in your SUPO account. More information on the page Paid SUPO printing in the Technical Information (see below).
- Computer classes:
- Classrooms with Windows: A215 (nereis), B116 (naiada), B117 (dryada), B311 (siren).
- Linux classrooms: A219 (nymph), B130 (nymph).
- The classrooms on the ground floor (B116, B117 and B130) can only be accessed via a computer hall.
- It is possible to use the study room A214 (there are no PCs).
Accounts and approaches
The entrance to the computer hall and some classrooms is enabled by the ISIC card (it is necessary to "beep" by its application to the sensor).
Every MU student has:
- Primary password - only for login to ISu and to Inetu .
- Secondary Password - Other Services (Print, catering , Eduroam, ...).
Students of FI have also faculty account:
- xlogin (freshmen find their login on the notice board at the entrance to the computer hall) + faculty password.
- At the beginning, the faculty password is the same as the secondary password, but they are no longer synchronized, they are two different passwords .
- Used for logging in faculty services : Aisa server, PC at the faculty, GitLab , Stratus , ...
- At the same time you get a mailbox
xloginijvlAd2lx@fivhfmvWK7R.municHY94mCE9.cz(by default it is redirected to IS).
- Please note that you are required to read the mail delivered to this address. Therefore, you should cancel the forwarding only if you check this mailbox.
Changing the password:
- Primary and secondary: in IS under reference Changing the password .
A new primary password (if you forget it) can be assigned to you by the Study Department.
- Each user has two network home directories, one for Unix systems and the other for Windows.
- On Windows, the Unix automatically connects as a network drive.
- Disk quota is in use , for more details see Disk quotas in the Technical Information.
- If you miss a program, you can ask the administrator to install it, or use the module system . Learn more in the Technical Information.
Aisa is a Linux server that allows remote access via SSH. You can sign in from anywhere at
aisa.fi.muni.cz. (This site also runs the FI web.)
- It is possible to log on machines from FI network (also from Aisa)
Nymph . For example, the address is
- There are also SSH clients for Windows, eg. PuTTY .
- The preferred connection method is Eduroam . Instructions can be found at it.muni.cz/sluzby/wifi .
- It is possible to connect to the faculty network (ESSID wlan_fi ). However, you need to authenticate to wifi.fi.muni.cz (faculty login and password).
- PC hall / classrooms are available Mon – Thu 7–22, Fri 7–20. The mode for Christmas / summer holidays is specified on the IS notice board. The faculty is open 6–22.
- Do not eat or drink in the computer classrooms and in the lobby, light up in the lobby.
- Do not leave the PC without logging out. Lock your computer for a maximum of 10 minutes.
- Keep in mind that other users can be remotely logged on to Linux workstations, so don't overload them.
- Therefore, do not restart Linux computers. To freeze, use the keyboard shortcut
Ctrl + Alt + Backspace . If this does not help, you may restart the computer by sending an explanation and the machine name to
- Illegal content sharing is prohibited.
- Choose a secure password and do not share it with anyone. Each user is responsible for ensuring that no one misuses their account.
- Follow all other rules found in the Technical Information under the link Operating rules of computer systems FI .
Your faculty account may be blocked for violations.
Technical information and contacts
On the faculty website at
Tech. info (
www.fi.muni.cz/tech/ ) you will find many useful information and instructions. You should study them, or at least know what you can learn there. In case of problems with Windows, Unix systems or WiFi, write to
unixCdyVT8Vxy@fiTYOMlIi=x.muni_lH2E9kHr.cz , respectively
We recommend that you familiarize yourself with the content faculty website , Faculty Administration ( fadmin.fi.muni.cz ) and especially Information System (IS) . In IS you will perform almost all administrative tasks related to the study, such as enrollment in the next semester, enrollment of subjects and seminar groups, enrollment for exams and examination of grades or passing through the study. But sometimes there is a personal visit study department inevitable - it is located on the 2nd floor of building A.
Older versions of this document: Archive Getting Started with FI .