Practical Traineeships

Register and recognition of internships to study

All students FI have the opportunity during their studies to go on a work placement abroad which may be recognized to the study at FI MU without interruption of study at home university. Students seek some foreign institution (company, laboratory, ...) for their internships themself. Once a student agrees his internship with suitable institution (period, content, supervisor) inform the Office for International Affairs FI MU.

FI students receive credits according to the length of the internship - 5 credits per month. Credits are registred to students study through the course SPRAC Placement Abroad (bc. and mgr. students), or DZAST Internship abroad (doctoral students). SSME students, where the internship is compulsory part of the curriculum, can use courses PA180 Interim Project Business, PA185 Interim Project Research I, PA186 Interim Project Research II.

The whole procedure of registration and recognition of internship to MU studies follows the Rector's regulation no. 8/2011 and Methodological guideline of CIC MU director no. 1/2011.
The "authorized person" within the meaning of Rector's regulation no. 8/2011 is the FI vice-dean for foreign affairs and external relations. The Office for International Affairs is responsible for administrative part of recognition. In case you need the signature of the authorized person or any other help, just contact OZZ FI MU.
Necessary forms for placements are available at documents in IS (consider the mobility programme through which you travel, either Erasmus+ or other).

Internships through mobility programmes

Programme Erasmus+ offers students scholarhips for practical placement for 2-12 months to the countries connected with this programme. Placement can be realized from the 1st year of study at the university.

Programme "freemovers" is for students who find their internships at foreign institution without support of any mobility programme. Students can work abroad with approval from fakulty, scholarship is awarded by MU Centre for International Cooperation for period from 30 days to 1 semester.

The Canadian government opened a programme for mobility of youth. It is for students and graduates of universities to support practical internships in Canada for max. of 12 months.

Students can also find their practical placements through student organisations like AIESEC or IAESTE.


Know-Center Graz is Austrian's leading research center for data-driven business and big data analytics. The Center offers paid internships during the whole year.

Know-Center conducts applied and interdisciplinary computer science research in five research areas. From search technologies, machine learning or knowledge extraction from big data-bases to the presentation and visualization of massive amounts of information, efficient use of information in social media channels, collection of personal data via desktop- and mobile sensory devices and intelligent software solutions.

Internships are offered in following four research areas (see details under

Area No. of vacancies Level
Knowledge Discovery 1 bachelor, master
Knowledge Visualization 1 bachelor, master
Social Computing 1 bachelor, master
Ubiquitous Personal Computing 1 bachelor, master

Internship parameters:

How to apply

In case of interest in an internship position, please apply directly to Ms. Olga Guillet. Your application should consist of your CV and a letter of application in which you explain your motivation to apply for an intern position, to which area you apply, and a person that can be contacted by Know-Center concerning recommendation. Interviews with candidates who live outside Austria are generally conducted via Skype.

Contact person for FI MU: Stanislava Gráf

Other internships offers