Matomo web analytics
If you run a website as part of your FI activities (it does not necessarily have to be under the domain
fi.muni.cz or on a dedicated domain), we can provide you with tracking using web analytics
Matomo (formerly named Piwik) operated at FI.
For a comparison of GA and Matomo options, see overview . If you have run GA on the site so far, this data it is possible to migrate of Matomo. We also support Matomo Tag Manager .
I am interested in deployment
If you are interested in monitoring the website using the Matomo faculty instance, send us to
webmasterx_bCZoIdF@fii-oyCSPcg.muniL5G42VvdO.cz to assess the request with a justification and attach straightforward answers to the following questions:
- enter the URL of the site
- does the site have alternative domain names? (difference between
www.domain.tlddoes not matter)
- do you also want to track fragment navigation / anchors? (
#anchor; especially useful for SPA sites)
- do you want to exclude some address ranges from tracking? (in case they distort the statistics)
- do you want to ignore some URL parameters? (we recommend ignoring
fbclid, otherwise Matomo will consider the same URL differing only in the Facebook tracking parameter to be different, which is almost certainly not desirable)
- do you want to import data from GA if the site used it before?
- does the site support search, and if so, what is the parameter name for the query (and possibly for the category)?
- Which faculty accounts should have the right to view the analytics of this site?
How do I get to Matomo
Request access to existing web analytics
webmastermV3Cx3a6d@fiXPnAlqRag.munitxP5AUEpc.cz through the site administrator.
If you have access to Matomo, in signpost of the Faculty Administration you will see a link in the FI Site Administration section Matomo .
Use faculty login details to log in.
Basic overview of options
Tracking code deployment
You can find the tracking code under the gear (top right) → Websites (menu on the left) → Tracking code .
When deploying the tracking code, make sure that if you do not select
Disable all tracking cookies during its generation (after clicking in the
Advanced section; the code will show the presence of a line
If your website is SPA, see SPA in Matomo .
If you want to specifically track error pages (404 and more), follow
Matomo FAQ . However, replace all occurrences in the completed code
If you are using a CSP, you may need to extend the configuration by
https://fadmin.fi.muni.cz; script-src https://fadmin.fi.muni.cz;" .
Useful web interface tips
- in the top panel you can set the period for which the data is displayed (note that Matomo displays data for yesterday by default)
- Remember that if you use DNT , add-ons for blocking ads (uBlock Origin, AdBlock, ...) or to increase privacy, Matomo may not be able to record your visits
- Visitors → Visitors Log = examples of specific site visits
- Visitors → Locations = geolocation of visitors by IP address
- Visitors → Real-time Map = real-time preview of site accesses
- Behavior → Pages = statistics of accesses to pages by URL
- Behavior → Page titles = allows error analysis (404, 403, etc.) if this option is set in the tracking code on the website
- Behavior → Site Search = web search
- Acquisition → Search Engines & Keywords = what search engine queries lead to the web (eg "what is computer graphics")