Bachelor's and master's theses: instructions for leaders and opponents
Criteria for the supervisor
Bachelor's and master's theses can lead:
- academic staff,
- professionals of universities and research institutes with a Ph.D. or equivalent,
- professionals with a master's degree and at least 5 years of experience (after obtaining a master's degree) in the field of informatics or a relative,
- MU doctoral students after passing the state exam and defending theses,
- graduates of doctoral studies at FI MU, who have gained experience in leading successfully completed final theses at FI MU,
- people listed on the name list approved by the Scientific Council.
In addition, bachelor theses can lead to:
- FI doctoral students,
- people listed on the name list approved by the Scientific Council.
Bachelor's theses in the field of Informatics in Public Administration (program Applied Informatics) can also lead to:
- doctoral students of the Faculty of Law MU.
Duties of the supervisor
The supervisor must be acquainted with the formal requirements for bachelor's and master's theses, ideally he should be acquainted with complete instructions for students .
The thesis supervisor guarantees the assignment, which is checked and approved by the field guarantor. Assignment requirements:
- the assignment of the thesis must be from the professional point of view adequately demanding for the completed degree of study,
- the assignment must define specific objectives, the fulfillment of which can be assessed by the commission,
- the assignment must be formally correct, clearly formulated and understandable not only for experts in a specific field (eg the use of abbreviations is not desirable).
The official assignment is filled in by the supervisor in Breakdowns of topics final theses of the IS MU. In the terms given by the schedule of the conclusion of the study for bachelor or master's degree the student and the supervisor are obliged to confirm this topic in the IS MU. Subsequently, the official assignment is approved by the guarantors of the fields.
After the approval of the official assignments, the supervisor proposes the opponents of the thesis. If the thesis consultant participated in its management, he / she can prepare an opponent's report, but the thesis must then have another independent opponent . The opponent (s) of the thesis is appointed by the head of the department on the basis of a proposal.
Final theses are public by law. If the work or part of it cannot be published immediately (eg due to the filing of a patent), the law allows the work to be hidden for a maximum of 3 years. At the Faculty of Informatics, work is often solved in cooperation with commercial companies, which often have a problem with the publication of some parts of the work. Possible conflicts need to be resolved when choosing a topic and discussed well when creating a thesis assignment.
Immediately after the submission of the work, the supervisor checks the work in the IS, during which he checks whether the student also submitted electronic attachments and whether the work is not plagiarism (using IS tools). The thesis supervisor must also enter the evaluation for the SBAPR and SDIPR subjects associated with the preparation of the final thesis no later than immediately after the submission of the thesis, so that in case of unsuccessful evaluation there is no delay in the unnecessary elaboration of the report by the opponent.
The submitted final thesis is prepared by its supervisor and at least one independent opponent who did not participate in the management of the thesis. The thesis consultant may prepare an opponent's report, but his report is not considered independent. A text template for the report can be obtained here.
The creation, submission, publication and evaluation of final (bachelor's and master's) theses are modified and specified by:
Testimonials at FI have a loose structure, thanks to which the testimonial can always be conceived so that it is relevant for a specific type of work. The report must be of good quality in terms of content and form. For students, testimonials are an important feedback on their mostly most extensive project. Testimonials are also freely available and you make a business card with the quality of the testimonial both to yourself and to the Faculty of Informatics. Pay attention to the linguistic accuracy of the report.
As part of the job review, focus on the following:
- evaluation of the quality of the work performed, including, for example, verification of the functionality of the implementation and inspection of electronic attachments (especially source codes),
- evaluation of the quality of the text, specifically the content, the overall consistency of the work, the use of literature, the quality of citations, linguistic accuracy, typographic and graphic adjustments.
Furthermore, it is necessary to pay attention to the control of plagiarism, not only by automatic control in the IS, but also by "feeling". Unfortunately, it happens that students download texts or images from the Internet without mentioning the source or without proper explicit citation. Such passages are usually relatively easy to recognize, for example by an obvious change in language style from other texts. In such cases, you should detect plagiarism.The report must contain: the title of the thesis, the name of the student, the verbal and written evaluation, the date of the report and a description of whether it is an opponent's report or the thesis supervisor.
The report is further expected to:
- a brief summary of the topic of the work and its results (there is no need to repeat the information given in the assignment or in the work itself),
- verbal commentary on individual aspects of the work, it is appropriate to state both the advantages and disadvantages,
- specific comments from which the student can learn,
- explicit proposal of the overall evaluation, which reflects the given verbal comment, do not specify the range of marks (eg conditional on successful defense), the proposed evaluation relates to the form of work at the time of the assessment,
- if the proposed evaluation is A and you consider the work to be particularly excellent, you can propose the work for the Dean's Award,
- where appropriate, questions for the defense.
Testimonials for bachelor's (or diploma) theses must be stored in the IS at least one week before the start of bachelor's (or master's) state examinations.
The defense of the thesis is a part of the final state examination and the participation of the supervisor and the opponent is assumed. If you are unable to attend the defense as a supervisor or opponent, please always send an apology in advance to the chairman of the relevant examination committee.
Leaders and opponents are invited in advance to send the vice-dean for bachelor's and master's studies deadlines when they are not available during state exams (eg due to a business trip), and an effort is made to schedule state exams for all students so that their leaders and opponents can to appear at the defense.
If the supervisor or opponent borrows a printed version of the thesis, it must be submitted to the study department at the same time as the assessments (even if the supervisor or opponent is a member of the relevant commission) so that it can be prepared in advance for state exams.