IV054 Coding, cryptography and cryptographic protocols.
Materials to the course and concerning home exercises can be found at
and in Study Materials to this course in the Information
System of MU.
Questions and comments to the course and home exercises should be sent
to the email addresses of teachers which can be found at the
COURSE INFORMATION webpage.
You can use exercise book with solutions:
Home exercises and their evaluation
New set of exercises will be always posted in the
Information System of MU in the Study Materials of the course IV054 and on
the web page of prof. Gruska on the Tuesday evening at 18.00 before
Exercises for the x-th lecture needs to be completed and solution electronically delivered
within 14 days - with deadline shown at the corresponding item "Exercises x" from
"Homework Vaults" section in the Information System of MU.
- Special points will be awarded
- to four first deliveries of solutions;
- for solutions in pdf format;
- for very interesting or original solutions;
- for discovering errors in the lecture or in the formulation of
In the case of "cheating", that is in the case of delivering
solutions produced by other students, the final grade for the course will be F.
Exams - procedure and conditions
Exams are oral. Each student is given 5 questions and
will have time for preparation of answers/solutions (about 1 hour).
The number of questions student has to answer will
depend on the number of points the student received for solution of
home exercises using the following rules related to the number MAX -
the maximum number of points achieved in homework exercises (ie. the number of points of the best student, including bonus points).
Each set of 5 questions will contain, with large probability, one
example discussed at exercises/tutorials sessions.
- If the received number of points is > 0.8 MAX.
The first 5 students will automatically receive the grade A.
The rest of students in this category will receive, on their request, the grade B but can go to the oral exam to
answer 1 question (out of 5) in order to get A.
- If the received number of points is > 0.65 MAX
The student needs to answer at the oral exam only 2 out of 5 questions.
- If the received number of points is > 0.5 MAX
The student needs to answer at the oral exam only 3 out of 5 questions.
- If the received number of points is > 0.35 MAX
The student needs to answer at the oral exam only 4 out of 5 questions.
Conditions for receiving credit ("zapocet")
To get > 0.35 MAX of points from home exercises or to answer 2 out of
5 questions at the oral exam.
How to deliver solutions to home exercises
- Solve exercises without help of others.
- Write down answers/solutions and at the beginning attach the
- Number of exercise set - number from 1 to 10
- Name - given names + family name
- UCO (University identification number)
Number of exercise set: 1
Name: John Veverka
- Put all into one file of the format pdf or txt. In the case of pdf
format an extra point is given - for better readability. Each file
our printers will not be able to print will be considered as an
invalid one. The file should not be compressed.
- Give the name to the file: [login]_[number of exercises].pdf (or
.txt) where number of exercise set has two digits.
For example: xveverk_03.pdf
- Insert the file into the corresponding item in the "Homework Vaults" section in the Information System of MU.
- Only one file is accepted. If you want to submit a corrected solution, simply rewrite the previous one with the corrected version.
At the webpage for the course IV054 in the Information System of MU one can find for each particular exercise the maximum
number of points received and after evaluation process is finished,
also one of the accepted solutions. Actual number of points assigned to the
solution of the particular exercise set can, however, be different (larger) for the
reasons stated in Home exercises and their evaluation (eg. extra points for pdf format, original solutions etc.).